JOIN MAILING LIST
Vandana Jain is an artist and textile designer based in Brooklyn, NY. She received her Bachelor’s from New York University and went on to study Textile Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Her work explores the intersections of pattern and symbol, and spirituality and consumerism.
Jain’s work has been exhibited both nationally and internationally. In the last few years, she has had solo projects at Lakeeren Gallery in Mumbai, India (2012); Station Independent Projects, Lower East Side, NY (2013); and Smack Mellon and BRIC House in Brooklyn, NY (2014).
She has received several awards for her work including the Emerging Artist’s Fellowship at Socrates Sculpture Park, the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council Workspace Residency, and the Joan Mitchell Painters and Sculptors Grant. Her work has been profiled in Artforum, The New York Times, Art Slant, Mumbai Boss, Kyoorius and Beautiful Decay.
My work recontextualizes the rich visual symbolic language surrounding us to comment on capitalism, globalization and consumerism. I often use labor-intensive and handworked techniques to contrast with the clean aesthetic and design of corporate brands and national flags. Some questions that I am addressing include the voice of the individual in contemporary society, the relationship of the spiritual to the commercial, and the larger political and economic power structures at play.
CVDOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
SOLOS AND TWO PERSON EXHIBITIONS
- And If the Devil Is Six..., Station Independent, NYC
- Dazzle, Smack Mellon, Brooklyn, NY
- Small Solo: House of Brands and Alphabet, BRIC, Brooklyn, NY
- Shorthand of Luxury, Station Independent, NYC
- The Invisible Hand Guides Us All to Our Gainful End, Lakeeren, Mumbai, India
- Chez BKLYN, Galerie SE Konst, Falun, Sweden
- Nature Pops!, Glyndor Gallery, Wave Hill, Bronx, NY
- (In)Finite Futures, ABC No Rio, NY
- Forever Now, The Mars Lab, Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia
- Exquisite Corpus: The Maize, New Jerusalem, PA
- Living Room, Artisterium 8, Karavasla, Tbilisi Georgia
- Value of Food, St John the Divine, NYC
- Adhere, Visual Arts Center of New Jersey, Summit, NJ
- Ornate Activate, Shirin Gallery, Chelsea, NYC
- Live For Now, Die for Later, mural, MALLONY Festival, Marijampole, Lithuania
- Zines+ and the World of ABC No Rio, Center for Book Arts, NYC
- Screensavers: Travels in Sleep, BRIC, Brooklyn, NY
- Surveillapocalypse, Five Myles, Brooklyn, NY
- Sprunq!, 292 Gallery, NY, NY
- Twist to Exist, Winter Festival, Sarajevo, Bosnia
- Debris Field, Castle Gallery, College of New Rochelle, NY
- Her Stories, Taubman Museum of Art, Roanoke, VA
- Summer Break, Station Independent Projects, LES, NY
- Ghost Modernism, Quartair, Den Haag, Netherlands
- Toothsome, Bulletspace, LES, NYC
- Her Stories, SAWCC 15th anniversary exhibition, Queens Museum
- Arctypes and Well Rounded Characters, Studio 371, Jersey City, NJ
- Amplify Action, Skylight Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Trash Talk, Art Connects, Spattered Columns Gallery, Soho, NYC
- Spin Off: Contemporary Art Circling the Mandala, Koffler Center, Toronto, Canada
- Open/Close, Cuchifritos in Essex Street Market, NY
- Can’t Hear the Revolution, Kunsthalle Galapagos, Brooklyn, NY
- Document, ABC No Rio, NYC
- Apartment Drafting 3, NYC
- New Sincerity, Brooklyn Fireproof, NY
- Lost Symbols, St. Cecilia’s Convent, NY
- No Assumption, Minneapolis, MN
- Into the Void, Index Art Center, Newark, NJ
- Structures Within an Intervention, The Guild, NY
- Good Looking, Grey Noise Gallery, Lahore, Pakistan
- Domestic Policy, The Guild, NY
- God Don’t Like Ugly, The Church of St Paul the Apostle, NY
- Transitional Aesthetics, 798 Biennale, Beijing, China
- Threads: Interweaving Textu(r)al Meanings, Center for Book Arts, NYC
- Wonder What the Others Are Up To?, Gallery OED, Bangalore, India
- Labyrinth, Exit Art, NYC
- Metropoles, Jamaica Center for Art and Learning, Queens, NY
- Peekskill Project, Peekskill, NY
- Homecoming, ABC No Rio, NYC
- Exploding the Lotus, Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, Hollywood, FL
- Emergence, Governors Island, NYC
- Drawn, Hanged and Quartered, Pace University, NYC
- Emerging Artists’ Fellowship, Socrates Sculpture Park, Queens, NY
- The Occidental Artist, NurtureArt, Brooklyn, NY
- Emergency Room, P.S.1, NY
- Jiffy PoP, Rockland Center for the Arts, West Nyack, NY
- Pursuit of Happiness, Sarah Bowen Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Thanks: Returning the Favor, apexart, NYC
- Tropicalisms, Jersey City Museum, NJ
- You Were Never Here, Soap Factory, Minneapolis, MN
- A Distant Mirror, M.Y. Art Prospects, NY
- No Money Down, Gallery Aferro, Newark, NJ
- The Centre Cannot Hold, Toronto Free Gallery, Toronto, Canada
- Well Read, NurtureArt, Brooklyn, NY
- Sampler Stitch, Dam Stuhltrager, Brooklyn, NY
- Copilandia, Centro de arte de Sevilla (caS), Seville, Spain
- Megacorp, PS122, NYC
- 16 Rooms, Brooklyn Navy Yard, NY
- Dreamland Artist’s Club, Creative Time, Coney Island, NY
- Fatal Love, Queens Museum of Art, Queens, NY
- Corporate Bodies, Momenta, Brooklyn, NY
- Primary, Secondary: Contemporary Drawing, Brookdale College, NJ
- Sub-version, PS 122, NY
- Territories, Gallery ArtsIndia, NY
- Founding Fathers, ABC No Rio, NYC
- AIM24, Bronx Museum of the Arts, NY
- Eat Me, 65 Hope Street Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
RESIDENCIES AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Joan Mitchell Center NOLA Studio Program
- Joan Mitchell Painters and Sculptors Grant
- LMCC Workspace Program
- Elsewhere, Greensboro, NC, Summer
- Emerging Artists Fellowship, Socrates Sculpture Park, Queens, NY
- Artists in the Marketplace, Bronx Museum for the Arts, Fall
- Arrow In, play by Nina Morrison, Dixon Place, 2012.
- Girl Adventure: Parts 1-4, play by Nina Morrison, Dixon Place, 2011.
- Market, (representing ABC No Rio), Living as Form, Creative Time, 2011.
- In Peace and War: 3 Teens Kill 4, Theatre 80 St. Marks, 2011.
- Book of Stamps, ed. by Sina Najafi, Cabinet, 2008.
PRESSSELECTED PRESS (PDF)
- Young, Stephanie. Vandana Jain Masks a Sinister Intention Behind Beautiful Optical Murals, Beautiful Decay, January 15, 2015.
- Pangburn, DJ. Dazzle Camouflage Hides Logos in Optical Illusions, Creators Project, Sept 25, 2014.
- Howard, Christopher. Shorthand of Luxury, Artforum.com, January, 2013.
- Laluyan, Oscar. Symbols of Personal Luxury, Artefuse.com, Jan 14, 2013.
- Painting by Logo, Mumbai Boss, Sept 13, 2012.
- Cotter, Holland. Her Stories, The New York Times, August 16, 2012.
- Shah, Pooja. Vandana Jain, Kyoorius, pp. 90-91, Fall 2011.
- Hilgenberg, Holly. Home is Where the Art Is, Twin Cities Runoff, Dec 11, 2010.
- Roalf, Peggy. Stitched Stories at Center for Book Arts, Design Arts Daily, July 8, 2009.
- Manmadhan, Prema. Caught Between Two Cultures, The Hindu, April 27, 2009.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. Maps of All Sorts Charting Mind and Space, The New York Times, March 16, 2008.
- Gardner, James. A Blast from the Past, The New York Sun, March 27, 2008.
- Mils, Michael. East Wind a Blowin’, Broward Palm Beach New Times, April 3, 2008.
- McAdams, Shane. An Exhibition worth Unwrapping, Downtown Express, Vol 19, issue 33.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. Coloring a Tropical Paradise,” The New York Times, December 3, 2006.
- McAdams, Shane. ArtSeen: Well Read, Brooklyn Rail, April 2006.
- Davis, Ben. Sign of the Times, arnet.com, August 17, 2005.
- Kennedy, Randy. Flash, Dash and Now Art, The New York Times, June 17, 2005, pE33.
- Scott, Andrea K. Brave New World, Time Out New York, March 17-23, 2005, p88.
- Cotter, Holland. Taking a Magical Flight Through Modern India, The New York Times, March 4, 2005, pE33.
- Herzberg, Julia P. AIM24, ArtNexus No. 54, September–December 2004, pp 176-177.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. A Chance to Fill Up on Visual Treats, The New York Times, April 25, 2004.
- Stillman, Nick. Introducing..., NYFA Current, May 5, 2004.
- Cotter, Holland. Where Witty Meets Gritty, The New York Times, Nov 15, 2002, pE31.
- Smith, Roberta. The New York Times, September 13, 1996, pC30.
- Born in Queens
- BFA, New York University
- Lives and works in Brooklyn, NY